How do you ensure you can find documents in SharePoint?
So how do you design a library structure to insure you can find documents in SharePoint? What are the key elements in document scanning to make sure you can find what you put in? Here is a quick tip list below:
- Define 5 key columns that will provide for search criteria.
- Always use capture technology that lets you create folders.
- Use Full text Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to create searchable PDFs so you can crawl the scanned document text.
- Always use a date field so you can search based on dates.
- Always use a custom document naming scheme that combines column information
- Use advanced features like managed metadata, content types and document sets to provide a deep tiered document definition.
More information on searchability and scanning here: Document Capture Drives Search
Anything I missed? Suggestions on making sure SharePoint doesn’t eat your documents?